Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wallajabad

"If you saw people as they saw themselves, your shyness would turn to compassion"

So, I can't get my photos to upload anymore. You all know how good I am with technology, so it might be a couple days. Until then, here is what I've been up to:

Its been raining and was nice and cool all day. I even had goosebumps! I never thought that would happen here. And, I finally got to do medical work today. We went to the colony Wallajabad. The "bad" came from being across the road from a cemetary. No one wanted that land, so they sent leprosy patients there. Another boy and I drilled Dr. Kumar on out way out there, so I'm an expert now!

There were about 4,000,000 people in India with leprosy in 2007. That number is dropping from the elderly dying and the younger ones being cured. The reason not all get treatment for the curable disease is they are uneducated. Dr. Kumar said they started showing pictures of the early signs of leprosy and instructions to get care during the preview at movies. Good idea! It takes two years before the nerve damage begins which is the irreversable part. Leprosy patients live longer than other indians (we cared for a 93 yr old woman today) which is a curse for them. They live while they lose their job, dignity, family, and function.

Another nurse and I did the dressing changes today. After their feet or other body part was washed, we cleaned it, cut off all white or calloused skin often with a blade, put ointment on it, and bandaged it up. All of the sterile field I learned in nursing was thrown out the window. Flies were everywhere and we were in the dirt. At least we had gloves. The work was really neat and I enjoyed doing it. The saddest part of the day was taking care of one man who was blind and had 4 different ulcers we worked on. 40 flies were constantly on him and he could not feel it. They would all gather in his wounds. Poor guy. And other man had not been able to close his eyes for the last 40 years. Can you imagine?

On a happier, less graphic note- for playtime we had a waterballon fight. It turned into everyone just dumping buckets of water on each other. The kids loved it and so did we. I know I am not supposed to have a favorite kid, but I do. His name is Peter (well that is his Christian name, his real name is too hard to pronounce). Every night he picks a book and cuddles up in my lap to read to me. Hes a pretty good reader too!

I'll work on getting photos up because I had some really great ones!!

1 comment:

  1. good job with the dressing changes! wound care was never my favorite part of the job, although i know it is sooooo important! way to go!!

    ReplyDelete