Friday, August 13, 2010

Moot




What a day!

We started off going to a small leprosy colony called Moot. It only had 4 men and 1 woman while we were there. We didn't do medical work, but instead healed in other ways. We danced to Jai Ho, played Jenga and dominos, and learned the life story of the people. Jraj was hilarous and animated. He taught us Indian dances, became a "supa star" with a girls glasses, pretended to be drunk, and said he was king. One man was missing a leg, another was missing all his fingers. The woman was extremely emancipatd and had a sunked eye along with other deformities. At first it was a little alarming, but by the time we left, they looked whole to me. They were so much fun and very hard working. Two of them schooled me at Jenga even without fingers! I am excited for when they get to heaven and receive perfect bodies. They are going to have amazing stories to tell and such wisdom.

We went to the children's dance program this afternoon. They did some traditional dancing and also some Michael Jackson. The little guys were the cutest! I want to learn their dance moves. At the end the children sang the Rising Star song:
I am free to be all i can be
I love life and I love being me
I can choose to let my light shine
The world is waiting
Whose turn is it? Mine!
I am a rising star (x2)
Spread the word near and far
I will live like the sun shining light
I will shine in the darkest of night
I will laugh and learn and through any strife
Live a long, happy, healthy, and loving life.

It is a perfect thing to be teaching these children. Hearing them sing it really loud was a neat experience.

I helped Karen and Cheryl (the nursing instructors), Dr. Kumar, and a doctor from St. Lazarus give immunizations to the young kids. It took a full team to hold them still and give the shots. The girls all screamed and the boys made faces and walked out with a grin. You know its a good thing I'll be a nurse when I was so excited to give shots.

Sometimes its hard to see all the saddness with leprosy, but tonight I learned something that made me feel a little better. Rising Star made a deal with some companies like Dell that outsource workers from India. If the children from rising star do well in school and graduate, they have a really good chance of getting hired. Working for those companies makes around $1200 per month. Doctors here earn $600. So, in a round about way being born as a child of a leprosy-afflicted parent could be a blessing.

We saw monkeys today! On the side of the road, eating bananas. Tomorrow we are off on a trip!

1 comment:

  1. love your insights! this makes me miss my last job...you are so blessed to have this experience.

    ReplyDelete