Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bharatapuram



We did medical again! This time at the Old Folks Home in the nearby colony. Don’t cringe, that is the actual name. I did wound care and wrapping with Kirsten and the Indian nurse again. I love medical days. I’ve had to learn to communicate with the patients without any words. The bobble head is usually the key. I’m not going to lie, I am pretty good at it. It got bad when we ran out of gloves. So, we just alcohol swabbed our gloves in between patients… it felt like a bad idea, but it was the best we could do.

The other members of the group washed feet, took blood pressures, and checked blood glucose levels. It was a busy morning with lots of people meeting with the doctor. The patients are so cute, especially when they try to butt in line or bring their little old shampoo bottles to refill with ointment. RSO has it set up that for medical care and supplies they pay 2 rupees (about 5 cents). That way it is not a free handout and but is still affordable to these people. Going along with what we learned in school about humanitarian work, when people pay for things, they take better care of it and themselves.

Yesterday I had to be “mean auntie”. We did talent classes again and this time I did bead bracelets. It didn’t even cross my mind that instead of sitting down and putting beads on a bracelet I would be monitoring the supplies. From the little girl's upbringing, they were taught to take as much as they can get. I had to always be checking their water cups and skirts for extra supplies- beads and string. They were constantly begging for more and had no desire to actually sit down and make jewelry. I didn’t actually care if all the beads were gone, but I don't think its okay to teach them to sneak and hide. They have been taught better here at school. It was a hard and stressful class. One girl cried for 15 minutes when another girl turned in her whole box of beads and string. Coaching taught be that sometimes I have to be stern…. or mean auntie.

We stopped at the junction yesterday, a small shopping center close to the hostel. I followed another girl's lead to buy handmade “sweets”. After eating them, we heard how they were made (with bad water, dirty hands, around flies). All night we were worried that we would be sick or get worms. So far, so good though.

Its crazy how fast time has gone. Only one more work day! It will be sad to say goodbye to all the children. I’ve just decided to pretend I am coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment