Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sharoja


I’ve been reading a book called Daughters of God by Michael Wilcox. I came across a few lines that tie into to what I have been thinking about here in India. He said, “Which experiences best increase love, compassion, mercy, kindness, and patience? Suffering creates and enhances those and other needful characteristics. Suffering is all around us. Many women (people) carry great burdens of sorrow; many are victims of evil or live in circumstances that create pain. Some allow suffering to turn them bitter and angry, but they are free to choose other wise. Others become ennobled and refined through their sufferings.”

I’ve seen this over and over again. It has been heartbreaking to learn of some of the children’s background or family life. Sexual abuse is common from living in small shelters. As children of leprosy afflicted parents, they have to see their parents loose fingers or limbs and be outcast from society. Others have had parents die or commit suicide. But these are some of the happiest kids I know. They have hope and I have hope for them.


I’ve seen one woman who was beaten by husband, became partially paralyzed, and has a sunken in eye bring tears to our eyes. She gives what little food she has to the birds and love to all she meets. I’ve seen people with so little and so much suffering create beautiful pieces of art, make us laugh, and teach us true happiness.

I have told people before, but I am excited when in the next life I get to talk with these people again. When we can communicate without language barriers. I want to hear their wise words and mortal experiences. They will have become so strong, patient, and compassionate. I have seen extremes in suffering as I’ve met some of the noblest humans.


Michael Wilcox continued on to say, “When we see others suffer, compassion, empathy, and love are born in our hearts. When I think of India I think of love. I love the children and their beautiful black eyes, I love those with leprosy and serving them, I love the locals I got to talk with, I love the volunteers I have spent the last two plus weeks with. I’m grateful for the suffering I have seen and the characteristics it has pulled from me. I hope to keep these memories with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment